Sunday, November 11, 2012

Day 4 - coconut trees

Later that afternoon, the kids wanted to go back to kids club to get their faces painted.  We were walking along the path to get them and noticed some workers were cutting down an old coconut tree that had gotten too tall and they were worried it might fall.  What caught my eye, was that the guy at the very top (and it was tall!) had climbed up there (and quickly, mind you) using only some spikes on his boots!!  WHAAATT?!!  I was quite impressed had never seen this before!  They are all so nice and he quickly waved when he saw I was taking pictures - HA!  He then came down, gave Josh and I each a fresh coconut to try and talked to us about how it all worked.  So nice and it was fun to learn about!
 At the top of the tree
 waving!!
 trying our fresh coconut milk!  I've had coconut milk before, just not this fresh!  Not really my thing, though...

 explaining everything to us with the machete still in his hand - Ha!
 opening up one of the coconuts
 this is actually a mango tree - I had no idea they looked like that!
 Lance the gladiator!
 Grace the butterfly!


 It was a fun, relaxing, and enjoyable day outdoors.  The kids had a little down time watching a video while we showered and got ready for dinner.
 I just added in a few fun shots.  This is me standing in the ocean and a shot of our "house".
 The worker is replacing the old palm leaves with fresh ones on top of the little huts
 A unique flower outside our door
 Josh and I ate at the restaurant Treetops while the kids practiced their dancing....

No comments: